Blog Archive

Friday, June 19, 2020

maskless

Game: maskless
Developer: Kultisti
Platform: Windows/MAC

Masking is a personality trait most of us can relate to. We often create a mask to fit in among the crowd, be it a religious institution, a social club, or school. Places where peer pressure can be a common occurrence. We often try to fit into places because abnormality is often frowned upon in culture, like being of a different sexual orientation or gender identity. Masking also applies to me, having Asperger's Syndrome, a mild form of autism that affects my social intelligence and behavior. I often put a figurative mask on because of my low self-image. As much as I try to act normal, there are times where I wish I was normal, even if the definition of normal is subjective depending on the culture.

So along comes itch.io developer Kultisti who admirably attempts to bring to light masking in an artful way in their game, maskless. Maskless is a short, atmospheric side-scroller where you play as a nameless figure who dons a mask to fit in with the crowd that seeks to pressure them. Along the way, you meet a myriad of other nameless characters that have decided to not conform with the norms of the majority, living their lives out in the forest, pursuing their passions.

While the game is very direct with its message, the narrative is generally up in the air in terms of what you take from it. The dialogue is cryptic, but not alienating. It very much pushes the themes of conformity and individuality, even if some of the dialogue's execution left me scratching my head.

Visually speaking, Maskless I would say is more visually driven than it is dialogue-driven. The minimalist visuals are definitely charming to look at. It doesn't bombard the senses and keeps things simple in execution. I enjoyed a few aspects of the visual direction. I liked how the representation of time is constant, shown in the clock as a "gift" from the norm, and how their clothing is represented by the pendulum of a grandfather clock.

I did have some minor issues with grammatical errors, but that can be forgiven. Another thing is while I am open to open-ended storytelling and theory crafting, I mean, I have gushed enough about Robert Eggers' film The Lighthouse with my friends and family, I think in maskless the execution fell short to some of my desires. It's a great proof of concept that I'm glad exists, but I just was expecting a little more "oomph" if you will out of the narrative.

Still though, I found maskless to be a charming little game. Game time lasts roughly 10 minutes, so it's a short adventure. While I was hoping that the narrative had a little bit more impact, I can certainly say it's worth checking out. The visuals and art direction are really interesting, and the themes I'm sure most people can relate to. Check this game out and "feel free to feel free."

No comments:

Post a Comment